Follow my Facebook page here

So projects you get roped into just by association. Below is the concept picture and the finished hall tree. I think I can check the box on Nailed It!


I started with the base, and cut everything to size with my circular saw using my new Bora clamp as a straight edge. I ripped a 2×4 down the middle to make the upright legs, to which each panel would be pocket screwed.


After all the pieces were cut, I took the Kreg Jig and made a LOT of pocket holes that would accept the special pocket hole screws.


Here’s the shot of the base of the hall tree all assembled. I notched out the front panel to be a handle/hand slot once the lid goes on.


The next step was to add some panels to the top of the box to frame in the lid. I used pocket screws from underneath to hold on the various pieces so I didn’t have to use plugs or buttons from the top after putting a screw through.


On the front panel where I cut out the slot, I took the iron and used the iron on veneer to cover up the end grain of the cabinet grade plywood.


The iron on veneer is pretty amazing stuff. I has this adhesive on the underside that is activated with intense heat (such as a clothing iron…). the standard materials that I work with everything is pretty much 3/4” wide/thick, and the veneer is about 7/8 wide which leaves about 1/8” on either side after the adhesive dries.

Behold the double sided veneer trimmer!


I slide this tool over the edge of the plywood, pinch, and slide the direction of the arrows and voila, the veneer is cut flush with the edge of the plywood.


The lid I made out of some pine boards; I was planning on carving into the lid so plywood wouldn’t really have worked.



I traced out the L using the paper pattern using graphite, and in about 10 minutes I had the L carved out. Done.

IMG_1936 - CopyIMG_1937 - CopyIMG_1938 - CopyIMG_1939IMG_1940 - CopyIMG_1941IMG_1942

Lots of pieces up there, all individually cut and put the iron-on veneer on too.

After all the trim pieces for the hall tree were in, and everything was ready for paint, I used “Dap” paintable caulk and filled in all the edges to crisp up the final product (seeing the black lines of shadows without the caulk would look dumb…)





Follow my Facebook page here